The three R’s of going green have evolved into five: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair and Rethink. Going green at the office is a lot easier than one might think. Here are a few steps of action to take to help the Go Green effort!
- Print Smart – The average US worker goes through 10,000 sheets of copier paper a year. To reduce that number, try and print on both sides of paper when possible and always remember to use the back side of old documents when sending faxes or printing drafts. Recycle old toner and ink cartridges and purchase remanufactured ones. Each remanufactured cartridge keeps 2.5 pounds of metal and plastic out of landfills and conserves about half of a gallon of oil!
- Buy environment friendly paper – Try and purchase paper that is chlorine free and has high amounts of post-consumer recycled (PCR) materials. For those of you worried about the quality of recycled paper, it is of a lot higher quality than it used to be and if you purchase the correct kind it is even as white as normal paper!
- Update mailing list – To avoid unnecessary paper waste, make sure all mail sent out is being sent to correct addresses. Keep it up-to-date both ways, and if you personally receive an unwanted catalogue make sure you call and have yourself removed from the mailing list.
- Go digital – Always think before you print. Could this be read online? Could I store this document online? Any type of employee manual can be posted online which also makes it easy to update. Keep things as paperless as possible!
- Conserve energy – Turn off lights in rooms that will not be used for >15 minutes. Artificial lighting accounts for 44% of electricity use in buildings! UTILIZE NATURAL LIGHT as much as possible! A little sunlight is always a good thing; everyone could use some more vitamin D. Purchase “energy star” rated light bulbs and light fixtures. They use two thirds less energy than traditional lighting. Turning off your computer at the end of the work day immensely helps conserve energy! If possible unplug the power strip too, but check with IT beforehand in case any overnight updates take place.
- Enhance your recycling program – Check out this blog on how to start a recycling program at the office!
- Create a healthy environment – Keep VOC emissions low. This can be done easily by green cleaning. Going green when you clean hugely boosts your company’s green credentials.
Reduce your environment foot print and go green today!
TIP: Envision Commercial Cleaning uses environment friendly cleaners that have low VOC content that is healthier for our employees and for yours. We also use microfiber clothes and mops which greatly reduces waste. If you or your company wants to take part in the Go Green effort- call Envision Commercial Cleaning for your free quote today!
Leave a Reply